Thursday 4 August 2016

The Thing Called Love 1993

The Thing Called Love 1993



 Peter Bogdanovich is one of my most adored directors he directed 'The Last Picture Show one of my all time favourites. He has an undetected certain formula to his movies a alchemy of warped settings, warped love triangles or an hexagon of goings on and complicated 3D relationships. 









I love road movies as mentioned too many times before and anything set in Texas or out South draws me in immediately for some unknown reason anything envolving the cowgirl vibe, I guess oddly, maybe I was a cowgirl in my past life anyway. 









'The Thing called love' 1993 starrs a young Sandra Bullock, Dermot Mulroney, Samantha Mathis (Rivers girlfriend at the time) and River Phoenix's last finished film. He's a bit of a bastard in this film but ya kind of love to hate him. The film revolves around Mathis character Miranda Presley (of no relation) a young singer song writer who leaves New York for Nashville in order to become a singer but ends up working as a waitress auditioning in the bar she works in the 'BlueBird Cafe' (which exists and has the same process) but never really getting past the auditions to perform until the ending of the film. She falls for the cocky singer song writer James Write (who she marries in a seven eleven I believe) whilst a humble more successful singer song writer Kyle Davidson is in ore of her being and writes all his songs about her. The film doesn't quite end as you want it to but in a odd, peculiar way its pretty satisfying like all of Bogdanovich's films (well if your rooting for Kyle, which I was). 





The gritty blue tones, southern outfits and romantic dialogue are pretty beautiful and hard hitting at times but also pretty hilarious especially Bullocks character Linda Lu Linden and her dog. The songs are very catchy and worth a listen anyhow. I watched this film when I was about fourteen and went through a River stage as a lot of people do and personally I think this is one of my favourite of his films. It just holds a real soft spot in my heart. The more I watch it the more I relate and connect with each and every character.


Tagline: 'Stand by your Dream'

No comments:

Post a Comment