Saturday 11 April 2015

Mommy Xavier Dolan- Review

'Mommy'







The French Canadian actor/director had his first feature length film at just aged nineteen called 'I Killed My Mother' it sold to twenty other countries. I'm a big fan of Dolan's work 'Laurence anyways' and 'Tom at the farm'. These two films and 'Mommy' are by far my favoured of his films, the colour palettes and the cinematography is spectacular. I believe Dolan is a force to reckon with and his films will be cult classics. He has is own individual approach on how he wants each film to be perceived. I wont expand too much on the two films mentioned Ill leave them for another time. Ill start of by saying that the cast was incredible he used two actresses he previously casted for 'Laurence anyways' both Anne Dorval and Suzanne Clément he also cast the incredibly talented Antoine-Olivier-pilon who was in a music video he directed for Indochine's College boy (ill link below) which is very hard hitting portrayal of bullying.


'Mommy' was shot in a 1:1 aspect which is super peculiar in modern day cinema. Dolan felt that by doing so you were closer to the actors their expressions, movements and living the scenes as they do. Personally I really liked it but at times it did get a little frustrating because you wanted to see more. There was one scene however when Steve (Antoine-Olivier-Pilon) pulls the screen wider just for a while unfortunately the scene was pretty magical and breathtaking and obviously suggesting it was a very symbolic scene of the bond of all three main characters relationships.



The film was set in a a fictional Canada with mixed styles and fictional laws. From the trailer and all the hype about the film before hand I would never in a million years would have guessed the story line and how in depth and how heart breaking the story would be. I felt like when ever you got attached to the characters they would do something to make you change your mind about them constantly deciding whether you love them or despise them. Its breathtaking to see characters as real people Dolan's characters aren't two dimensional they are alive and they are neither good or bad but honest and recognisable. Throughout the film without giving away to much I definitely picked up on the oedipus complex between Dorval and Antoine's characters without it being to in depth or gross it was simply easy to watch and it seemed reasonable very strangely enough. Antoine described he wanted his character to be similar to Brad Pitts character in 'Twelve Monkeys' he is refreshing to watch such grittiness on screen and a very believable character and yet you fall in love with him but are afraid of his violent outbursts and strong personality.



I'm from London in England and I was surprised on how funny the film was in certain scenes and how the humour was actually very similar to British humour even the dialogue and phrases used for example in one scene Dorval's character says 'Bobs your uncle fannys your aunt' which is very common in England. The fashion in the film was very nineties esque and little objects like a radio in the film and the necklace Steve gives to his mother which I own and the dialogue used. The characters are very similar to people I know and family members, making the film that little bit more sentimental and direct. I absolutely adored this film and for sure is in my list of favourite movies, I even own a poster the same height as me (I'm 5 foot seven) of the film on my wall. I'm looking extremely excited for his first American debut film starring the spectacular Susan Sarandon and Kathy Bates and can't wait.    


music video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp5U5mdARgY



No comments:

Post a Comment