Tuesday 12 May 2015

Gregg Araki- Director appreciation Part I

Gregg Araki - Director appreciation part I

 Gregg Araki is one of my all time favourite directors and actually is how I came about the strange darker side of cinema. I was thirteen and my friend said she had found the most disgusting movie on youtube and the sex scene was so gross and bloody. In my head I instantly thought this sounds like a film I would love to watch.  I rushed home and anxiously asked her for the link and since then my world has transformed. Thanks Emily for your disgusting find which was now my treasure. The film was 'Doom Generation'. 

 The Teenage Apocalypse Trilogy

Totally Fucked Up 1993

'Totally fucked up' is the first of the trilogy the only way to explain this film would be. Gay teen angst. And that's it I found this film very warped in the most magically twisted sick way possible. This film made me understand 'Doom Generation' more,  to a Araki extent anyway. The colours really pop in this film and James Duval's performance is fantastic.





 Doom Generation 1995

Araki's apocalyptic adolescent youths up to know good. Is probably the only way to explain it for each film ill give a sentence that describes it and why I love it. Angst sexually frustrated Shoplifting teens on the run messy love triangle but always fashionable and drugged up to the maximum. Now that may have made sense or none at all but that's Araki for you. I loved 'Doom Generation' because it opened up a whole new world of cinema for me and sucked me in to the warped world of fantastic colour palettes, timeless music and fashion all in under 1hour and 22 minutes. MY LIFE WAS CHANGED.













Nowwhere 1997 

This film is the last instalment of the trilogy and similar to Totally fucked up the colours are similar and the themes and the dialogue happen to be a bit more cheesy, where as 'Doom Generation' was a lot darker. This last instalment has been described as 90210 on acid and well I agree.



















 Some of the well known stars in the above films: Rose Mgcowan, James Duval, Johnathon Schaech, Rachel True, Debi Mazar, Ryan Phillip, Shannen Doherty and many more 90's teen heartthrobs.

Araki casts people with distinctive odd looks or features that pop once on the screen he really casts some of the best actors that fit perfectly within his warped world. The whole costume department for each film is exceptionally amazing and one of the reasons I love his films so much and to be honest draw some of my dress inspiration the blitz kid vibe and the misfits of the universe. His neon colour palettes are easily recognisable and his soundtracks are inevitably one of the best in the film world. A lot of eighties and nineties inspiration even up to his present day films. The 'Cocteau Twins' which are one of my favourite bands are a main inspiration and soundtrack to most of his films and Harold Budd and many more Ill link the soundtracks below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxFOaoJuP5E&list=PLD6PdoxCrfx_zGPK1PfZF14YrsrxHF5e1

No comments:

Post a Comment